Monday 2 July 2012

Prawn Mee 2 styles ~ Soup or Fried???

Prawn lovers like me will sure to enjoy both local dishes, the soupy prawn mee and the fried Hokkien prawn mee. And I want to try making these two dishes from scratch, I have saved up a bagful of prawn heads and shells to make prawn broth. Last Saturday, I started in the morning boiling the broth so that it will be ready for dinner. I am using a recipe found on-line to make my prawn broth.


Prawn Soup Noodle
Recipe adopted from http://www.soshiok.com/article/4576. This is how my sinful prawn broth looks like during the process of making.


As there're only 2 of us, I didn't use up the broth. I freezed the balance into 2 bags approx. a soup bowl size and reserve for the next dish ~ fried hokkien prawn mee.



 Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee


Ingredients
6 medium prawns
50-70g pork belly
1 squid (cut into rings)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 medium pack yellow noodle
1 small pack thick beehoon
2 eggs
Handful of chives or spring onions
Bean sprouts/ Fishcake (optional, I didn't put)
Fish sauce or sugar to taste
Pepper
Sambal chilli and lime

Prawn Broth
I used a bag of my prawn broth made the other day, you could do it instantly if you don't have the broth pre-made. Use about 20 prawn heads and shells (the more the better) and boil with 2 soup bowls of water for 30 mins over low fire. Drain the broth and standby, it should be the size of a soup bowl.

Method
1) Heat 1-2tbsp of oil, sautee garlic and add in pork belly. Stir fry for a while and add in squid rings and prawns.
2) When the prawns start to turn pink, ladle in half portion of the prawn broth. Simmer for a min.
3) Add pepper and either fish sauce or sugar to taste. This depends on whether your broth made is sweet enough. If it is sweet, add a little fish sauce to enhance the taste. Otherwise add sugar to sweeten the broth. Personally I prefer my fried hokkien mee to come with a tinge of sweetness.
4) Stir in yellow noodles and thick beehoon, ladle the balance broth and simmer for 1-2 mins over medium fire. Becareful not to dry up the noodles.
5) Pour in beaten eggs, wait for awhile and scramble them. Throw in chives/ spring onions.
6) Serve with chilli and lime.

Note
I didn't use the full pack of yellow noodles. I noticed they come in various pack sizes so it depends on how much you want to cook. The above recipe is good for 3 pax. I go by guts feel when throw in both the noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment